Sunday, October 28, 2012

Boardwalk Empire: Season 3, Episode 7


And here I thought there may be an episode without a body count. 
The Eli and Nucky Thompson clans get together for a good ol’ fashioned Easter egg hunt and Sunday dinner to celebrate the resurrection of Christ. Nucky left Miss Kent to fend for herself for one episode while he spent the day with his family. Unfortunately, his attempt at making peace with Margaret is too little too late. I wonder if this will open the door for a more seductive relationship between Mrs. Thompson and Owen. But I can’t lie, I wished the writers had taken the opportunity to clear the air between Nucky and Margaret. I guess the lovey-dovey couple didn’t bring in enough ratings.

There was some good that came out of the long awaited family reunion. Nucky realized Eli’s sincerity and is willing to let his little brother take over the warehouse reigns. Finally, there may be some brains behind this operation, and I doubt Rothstein is willing to put up with another Tabor Heights incident.
The Thompsons weren’t the only ones enjoying their Easter. Richard Harrow is in love! His new flame is the daughter of an old angry old basement boxer and she doesn’t bat an eyelash at Harrow’s malady. I am so glad to see a bit of new love budding during such a horrific period of violence, debauchery and murder.
Now onto the sociopaths:
Gyp made a reappearance in this week’s episode and almost has his Easter goose cooked by Joe Masseria, but saved his skin by promising to bring the turf back to the New York crew. But of course, he couldn’t get away with just a bit of hotheadedness. He had to go ahead and assault and rob a priest after yelling at a statue of Jesus in his local cathedral. Gyp’s character may be showing the true signs of a sociopath, and I’m sure there are quite a few sociopath mobsters out there, but I have to be honest, I think I enjoy the episodes without Gyp.

Speaking of violence, debauchery and murder, Gillian covered the gamut in one Easter Sunday. She needed Jimmy to die on paper and she found a way, and talk about a psychological mess. The woman killed a good man who had a striking resemblance to the son with whom she shared an erotic relationship. Freud would have had a field day with this one. It finally seems as though she now has closure with Jimmy. Let’s hope the Boardwalk Empire fans that are still mourning his lost will lay him to rest with Gillian.

Next week’s body count: I do have to say, I haven’t been right once with who is going to die in the next episode, but that doesn’t mean I won’t keep trying. I’m putting my marker on Mickey Doyle again. He is a stooge and with Eli coming in, he doesn’t really serve a purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment